As the coronavirus pandemic spreads, self-isolation or quarantine is one of the key strategies in “flattening the curve” of the infection rates. These 14-day isolation periods involve individuals or families staying within their homes, and not having physical contact with those outside.
With the prospect of school and daycare closures, as well as workplaces shutting down or moving to remote working, many more families around the world face the likelihood of long days inside the house.
So to help you through this difficult time, here are just a few ideas to help your little ones (and you) from going insane. I understand it’s going to be hard for us all, but if we try our best to keep calm, ignore the kids mess (as much as we can) and just try our best to enjoy the time together with our household families, we will get through this! It’s just temporary!
1. Get baking! This could be anything from bread rolls for dinner and a yummy cake for dessert. If you’re feeling adventurous, why not try making some pasta!
2. Write a letter to a neighbour or a friend. A friendly letter to someone can be a big help in worrying times, brighten their day with a colourful picture.
3. Make binoculars. With all that extra toilet roll people have, why not make the most of it and make a pair of binoculars and bird watch in the garden.
4. Have a snuggly day. Make a snuggly place to watch a film, eat snacks and feel cosy.
5. Paint a portrait. Whilst everyone’s together, what better time to get the paints out – why not paint your families portrait.
6. Throw a fake birthday party! Play party games, make party food, dance and sing, enjoy yourselves!
7. Bug hunt. Go for a bug hunt in the garden, make a “find me” list and enjoy some fresh air.
8. Play board games. Get the Kerplunk out, Snakes and Ladders, Monopoly or maybe even Boggle if you’re looking at throwing a sneaky bit of learning in there too. Relax and have fun! …. or even design your own board game!
9. Paint rocks. Paint friendly messages on rocks, have a walk around your local neighbourhood and leave them for others to find. Share some hope and smiles.
10. Get building. Get the building blocks/bricks out, try make the biggest tower you possibly can. Build a box fort. Build a house of cards. Build a raceway for little cars.